In 2016 the General Assembly approved this strategic plan for use in the church.
Disciples of Christ
Empowered by the Spirit
and Rejoicing in Service!
As a Reformed church, we rely on the truth and inspiration of Scriptures for God’s guidance into the future – a future that we approach with wonder and anticipation, knowing God is with us.
Relying on the power of the Holy Spirit, we proclaim the love and good news of Jesus Christ through our words and actions.
As worshipping communities joyfully celebrating the sacraments, we are supported, strengthened and equipped to share the love of God revealed in Jesus Christ.
As Worshiping Communities of The Presbyterian Church in Canada, Relying on the power of the Holy Spirit, we proclaim the love and good news of Jesus Christ Through our words and actions by working together as a national church to provide:
- Visionary Leadership
- Empowering resources that are relevant, contextual and missional
- Relational connections that incarnate Christ's mission at the local, national and international level
With God's help, we will accomplish these goals by prayerfully continuing, creating and improving ways to equip congregations, specialized ministries, church courts and the church as a whole to:
- Engage in biblical and theological reflection and education that deepens understanding of and commitment to God, the church, and its place in Christ’s ministry and mission
- Pursue spiritual renewal and faith formation as the basis for transformation within our congregations
- Engage in evangelism, outreach and discipleship
- Embrace a missional culture that nurtures initiative and risk taking at local, national and international levels
- Discern through grassroots consultation and research the challenges ministers and congregations face and connect them to tools to overcome them
- Articulate and live out the rich traditions of Reformed theology
- Discern, prepare and support leaders – lay, youth and young adults and clergy – for faithful and vibrant ministry
- Create, encourage and support new communities of faith
- Explore buildings as tools that set congregations and presbyteries free to pursue faithful ministry
- Live out the justice imperatives of the gospel and sow seeds of hope through our words and actions in the public sphere
- Engage in healing and reconciliation between Indigenous and Non-Indigenous peoples •
- Nurture ecumenical relationships and collaborate with ecumenical partners to achieve common goals
- Fulfill leadership mandates with the help of caring, competent and, when necessary, confidential support
- Celebrate, support and encourage cultural and linguistic diversity
We will utilize the following as tools to accomplish the above goals and objectives as we:
- Provide congregations with resource people and tools to encourage/enhance ministry •
- Use technologies to facilitate achievement of goals and objectives
- Use coaching and mentoring networks that can share best practices to equip congregations and leaders in renewal
- Create, seek and make easily available print, video, electronic resources to equip congregations and individuals for ministry
- Encourage one innovative worshipping community in each presbytery to foster evangelism, hope and spiritual renewal
- Have denominational structures and programs that are accessible, mobile and responsive to regional needs
- Work with mission partners who enable congregations to participate in mission beyond the congregation
- Provide equipping conferences for leaders from congregations, presbytery, synods
- Provide PCC committees, congregations, specialized ministries, presbyteries and synods with website support and inspire and equip them in innovative communication techniques
- Provide grants strategically to further accomplish the goals and objectives of the strategic plan
- Collaborate with PCC theological colleges on common goals and objectives
- Conduct research, develop policy and study guides to equip the church for future ministry
- Provide opportunities for building relationships between Indigenous and Non-Indigenous peoples